A Firm With Integrity, Service, & Excellence
Personal Injury Attorney The Woodlands, TX
Texas Personal Injury Laws
In order to succeed in a personal injury lawsuit in Texas, you must prove the following:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care
- The defendant breached that duty
- The defendant’s breach caused your injury
- You suffered losses (e.g. medical treatment, property damage, lost income, etc.)
Understanding Personal Injury Damages
There are three types of damages you may be entitled to: economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages.
- Economic damages consist of financial losses such as hospital bills, lost wages, and property damage
- Non-economic damages are less tangible types of economic loss like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of consortium
- Punitive damages are designed to punish the defendant for their grossly negligent conduct and deter others from following in their actions.
On This Page:
“Best defense attorney in Texas!”- Jeremy
When filing a personal injury claim, your injury attorney in The Woodlands, TX will usually guide you through the following steps:
- First you will meet with our team and discuss the incident and your injuries in detail so that your attorney has a strong understanding of the situation
- Next your attorney will help you file a personal injury lawsuit against the party that caused your injuries
- Your attorney will then begin to research and build your case for court (this is known as the “discovery phase”) by interviewing witnesses, compiling evidence, preparing expert witnesses, etc.
- Your attorney will then guide you through the mediation or negotiation process in which they attempt to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf without going to trial
- If we are unable to successfully negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf, we will take your case to court and argue your claim before a judge or jury
- The judge or jury will review all of the facts of your case and then provide a ruling
Do Personal Injury Cases Always Go to Trial?
No. In fact, the majority of personal injury cases settle before they even need to go to court. This is because settling a personal injury lawsuit is usually in the best interests of both plaintiff and defendant. Not only does it save time, but it also cuts down on the legal costs for both parties. Your personal injury lawyer in The Woodlands can help negotiate with the insurance company or the other party that is responsible for your injuries and ensure that you receive a fair settlement. However, if the insurance company is unwilling to negotiate and refuses to offer you fair compensation, we are ready to go to court on your behalf and argue your case before a judge or a jury.
What Is the Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Cases in Texas?
If you have been injured due to the negligent actions of another party in Texas, you may file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court. You have two years from the date of the accident/injury to file a lawsuit. If you fail to file your claim within that time limit than you lose your right to. That is why you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney in The Woodlands, TX from Morgan Bourque Attorney at Law right away to get started on your case.
How Long Does a Personal Injury Claim Take?
There is no set time limit for personal injury cases. Some claims can be resolved in a few months, while others may take several years to finally reach a settlement. Some factors that may contribute to your case taking longer include:
- Serious or catastrophic injuries - In most cases your attorney will want to wait until you have reached maximum medical improvement before filing a case against the other party; this ensures that you receive compensation for all related damages, including injuries that result in long-term damages.
- Complex cases - If your case involves multiple parties and requires extensive research and gathering of evidence to prove your case, it could take several years for your case to reach the point where it is ready to go to trial.
Even if your case does take several years to resolve, at the end of the day our ultimate goal is to obtain maximum compensation on your behalf, no matter how long it takes.
When Should You Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in The Woodlands, TX?
If any of the following are true, you should consider hiring an injury lawyer in The Woodlands, TX to represent you:
- If you were seriously injured and are facing high medical costs
- If the insurance company has denied your initial claim or is low-balling you with their offers for compensation
- If you are being blamed for your own injuries even though the accident wasn’t your fault
- If you are unfamiliar with the legal process of filing a personal injury claim
- If you are familiar with the process but your injuries prevent you from giving your case the attention it demands
Having a professional injury lawyer on your side can greatly improve your chances of winning your personal injury lawsuit and obtaining a favorable personal injury settlement.
Ready to Protect Your Rights & Health Today
Have you or a loved one been injured at the hands of someone else’s negligence? Rest and recover while The Woodlands personal injury lawyers at Morgan Bourque Attorney at Law fight for your full compensation of past and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income, and emotional distress.
Morgan Bourque is the Texas trial attorney here to fight for you and your loved ones. With more than five decades of combined experience, our legal personal injury attorneys in The Woodlands, TX can investigate your accident, collect supporting evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and maximize your entitled compensation.
Contact the Woodlands personal injury attorney today to learn about your legal options.